Monday, April 22, 2013

Quick Fold Over Clutch

I needed a modern clutch for a wedding rehearsal dinner. This wedding and all of the events are rather dressy. I have spent money on a few items, mostly dresses. I want to make my own dress but fear it won't be right and I would have spent all this time doing it. I am not a seamstress Iam mainly a quilter. So, I shall leave dressmaking to another place in time.

I quickly realized I was going to have to settle on making an accessory. Jewels were out so I got it stuck in my head that I should do a clutch.
So this was the result to wear with my new cobalt jacket and my grey and black leather trimmed dress.

I had a few tricks to making this bag in only a few hours.  I dont have exact measurements to share. I would like to share my process on making these. It is much like other things, I look at something, size it up, then make slight alterations (usually aesthetic design). 
I see fold over clutches in style, which lead me to pick  up one in Forever21 opened it and checked out the construction. I didn't like the color or cheap chain. I went home empty handed to my bins of fabric. This silver vinyl has served its purpose for many creations. I feel that vinyl is a great item to sew with because it is so durable. I use my cheap Brother sewing machine and it sews through with a newer needle with great ease. I rarely sew through multiple vinyl layers, I cannot attest to that.
 I like duck cloth canvas too much and have a nice stash. After a few projects the silver is running low so I basically decided on the exact size for the clutch based on the size of vinyl scrap I had. From that I cut the canvas at the same width. I use a self-healing mat and rotary cutter with ruler, I just didn't look at the measurements really. I realize that seems odd, I find that I get a better looking finished piece if I go with my gut rather than the inch. There is a lining that came from a purple pillow case and a grey zipper inside. The zippers I keep on stash. I buy them longer than most and cut them down to size if needed. It seems to be easier to cut one down than make it longer. I box in the zipper in 2-3 wide strips of canvas. 
Then added the vinyl end and canvas to the other. Attached the lining with a small hole in the bottom for turning and inserted some rectangles of poly fiber board. It is the secret in making it stiff and keep its shape. I cant wait to use it! It is awesome that it cost me so little, and if someone likes it, I get to say that I made it.

Earth Day

Iam a huge fan of Earth Day, I love natural sciences and enjoy digging in the dirt. I have tried to make it a tradition in the last few years to plant something for the awesome day.

This year we did more digging in the dirt than normal. I planted two heirloom versions of tomatos. I found the rosemary in the half off section of a small garden shop down the street. They also had free japanese maple saplings for Earth Day celebration. I weaved they two together. I really really hope they take root.


Strawberries in a hanging basket should sprawl well. We wanted all of the outdoor items in containers because we expect to move mid summer.
We also purchased three bio-degradable containers. They wont bio-degrade in 10 years but, if it they do end up in a landfill they wont take as long as plastic.

I love the ridges in the low ones for succulents. I already had the succulents they just needed to be spaced out better. Love your mother.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Yummy Yarn Creations

I ended up with a lovely cowl for me and a chunky beanie for my hubby. I am over the moon about the green cowl. The alpaca is so soft next to my face. I have a bit left over and intend to make myself a beanie. This cowl looks rather dressy and causal at the same time. I have also discovered that it fits over my head like a hood on those blustery days. I might have to put it up for a few months, but I can wait to rediscover this staple item when winter rolls back around. I did not use a pattern to create this cowl. I  just started with a circle size I liked and then added a few stitches every few rows in order to make a cone shape. I ended up with some extra yarn and intend on making myself a beanie.
I am wearing my hubby's beanie in this lower shot. It fits me too, major bonus points. Again, no pattern used. I started at the crown with a rather large hook and simply had him try it on as I went along, adding stitches as needed. I enjoyed that the yellow created a swirl pattern. This was a lovely yarn to work with and will indeed be a warm item.  I do tend to like my beanies a bit slouchier than this, but I started to run out of yarn and at $15 a pop (skein) I wasn't about to run down the street to buy more.

Stay warm this chilly spring my friends!

Oh, I just realized this is my 200th post! :-) I didnt know I had that much to say over the last few years. I love this more for me than any viewer, but its nice that you are out there! Leave me a comment sometime.