Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Henna Designs

 I am in love with using Henna. I get it from my favorite one-stop-shop, Sugar Magnolia. They have tubes of the pre-mixed Henna for $4.50. I have seen it for $15 at big craft stores, of course those are crazy colors that don't last as long. I love the traditional rust red color that it turns into anyway. I have seen many customers using it, they have amazing detailed patterns.  I started off looking a few design books that Sugar has. The patterns and images on flickr were inspirational as well. I noticed that no two were remotely the same. Then it makes it so much more personal if the designer creates their own patterns.
I love flowers and mandala circles. I did use a few key design elements from the images I saw on flicker, the dark three leaves and lotus pattern can be seen. The rest I came up with as I went along.  It took me about 40 minutes to complete the mini sleeve. The tube squeezes out a very consistent thin line. Much like a pastry bag to put on icing. Start big... the smaller your pattern the harder it is. It can be wiped off with minimal stain with in 1-3 minutes of application. Keep paper towel near by to dab the tip on or wipe away crazy lines.

Now, sit still. I find it is a very calming meditative task. I don't find it hard to sit for a while holding my arm up awkwardly, my hubby thinks I am nuts for taking the time to do something that takes forever  to dry and only lasts 4-5 days if you don't scrub it. Mind you that is coming from a guy that has a few large tattoos. I am sorry I am just not into pain. This just tickles and you have to sit still for awhile. Its a cheap summer creative fun.
I used about 2/3 of the tube. I just put the yellow pin back in and put in a baggie to use later. I keeps for awhile in a normal temp. environment.

These images are of after it sat on my skin for about 20 minutes. It is dry to the touch but has a nice crust formed. After this happens you can move a bit more freely. Try not to peel it off at this point. The longer that you and leave it on at this point the darker that it is when you peel it off. You can tell when it is done because the lines crack and little pieces flake off. Patience and sitting still is key to having clean dark lines.


This is the next day. I actually leave it on all night. I would not recommend doing this, you will wake up with little black pieces in the sheets. As Leah puts it, little ants.


I love it on my finger tips. I thought it was really interesting that they black out their fingerprints in some of the traditional patterns. I need to find out why...Do you know?



I had to throw in a precious furry face that sat next to me the whole time to feed her. She has patience for days!

1 comment:

  1. That looks like fun. I just found and love this blog! Thanks and keep up the good work.
    Jared

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger