Saturday, November 23, 2013

Love Love

I have been wanting to make a decorative pillow for my mom to go with the quilt I made for her Big Birthday. 
I knew I wanted it to be " LOVE LOVE"
This is what my Mama and Sister say to each other,  now my husband says it and I am pretty sure a few friends have picked up on it. Because in my family it's not just Love, it's Love Love.

I started by looking for a certain size for a pillow insert. I went for 14 x14. I cut out the muslin 15 x15 , so that I can quilt the piece.

I folded the piece of muslin in half so I knew how big one word needed to be. 
I used scrap pieces left over from her Kaffe fabric quilt. I started with the dark colors, by laying them out on the half of muslin.
I tried to keep my strips 2-3 inches wide considering 1/2 inch seam allowance.


Then I cut and filled in with the light colored fabric.


I am a very messy cutter. I also have lots of Kaffe fabric and intend to make quite a few more quilts from the scraps. I try to keep the lights and darks sorted nicely, or not so nicely.
Here are some border pieces. I found that taking a few were not only helpful for my blog but, also to get it back together after sewing and pressing.
I ended up cutting my "E" strips too thin and it came out rather tiny. I actually had to remake the "E".



Here is one finished " LOVE".






The final Block, LOVE, LOVE.

I cut the batting 14 1/2 and sandwiched it with the muslin and sewed all sides down with 1/4 seam allowance.
I am planning on doing some simple quilting to get the letters to pop a bit more.
I hope my Mama will LOVE, LOVE it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger