Monday, March 4, 2013

All in the details

I love a sweatshirt, I dont particularly love how boyish I look in them. I was in the dreaded wal-mart the other week , looking for cheap yoga pants, and I was thrown off course by this huge display of $3 Hanes sweatshirts in the middle of the bathing suits. It's spring ya'll! I grabbed up this awesome blue and brought it home and stuffed it in the drawer . I got ready to wear it the other night and decided that the rounded neckline had to go. I went for it with the sharp scissors. I wanted an off the shoulder with a low v-neck. After holding it to myself to decide how wide to make the cut, I  smoothed it out on the table folded in the center (shoulders together) and cut straight lines. I never drew a line, I just went for it. I have very very very sharp heavy long dress making shears that made this beautiful neckline cut possible through 4 layers.
I would recommend penciling your lines in, using a ruler and cutting each side separately, if you dont have baller scissors like I do.

As soon as I cut it, I put it on to see if it was as I planned. Perfect. When I put it on I noticed the seams on the shoulders were pulling apart because I had cut the ending knot out. Not so perfect. I thought for a moment about grabbing the same color thread and fixing the seam. Then I remembered seeing awesome embroidered sweatshirts on Pinterest. Oooh and this.
I found my favorite color, salmon peach, and went for it. I knotted the seams back carefully. and then did a super easy dot dash pattern. I may add another color row, but I wanted to wash it to see if it rolled up at all after wash and dry. I am concerned that the embroidery will get "eaten" by the roll that normally happens on raw edge fabric. 
I love it now and hope that dosent happen. I love that it is kinda girly and screams "Look at me, I make stuff, and I think I am awesome!"
 I am tempted to go buy more $3 sweatshirts. I will not, but you should! This was super easy and maybe took me 20 min to make. It could take all day if I kept elaborating on the pattern. Great future gift idea too! Super cute for kiddos stuff too!
Hell, I could put a bird on it if I wanted to! Imagination is the limit!
Okay enough exclamation points...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger